Tuesday, April 3, 2012

NaPoWriMo - April 2 - Songs of your birth

Day 2: A poem inspired by the song that was #1 when you were born

My adventure into discovering what song was top of the charts on the day I managed to become a human being ended in my discovery that it was Prince's 'When Doves Cry'. My first thought was that this was obviously going to be a super happy joyful poem (*eyeroll*) and my second thought was that there was no way I would be able to bring the cheese enough to do it justice. I was wrong, on one count anyway.


Through the lines on your skin,
the purple circles beneath your eyes,
it seeps out of you as shadows.
You’ve heard the echoes
a dove, weeping in the night.
You’ve touched its cheek,
you’ve felt its chest heaving in your hands.
Similarly, you’ve heard it laugh,
though the memory is fading away.
You couldn’t be vulnerable,
not in the way he needed.
You let him be the weak one,
and tenderly cared for him,
nursing his broken wings.
An injury which healed completely,
but turned him to the skies.
You can still hear it,
the echoes of before.
It is haunting and lonely,
the song of a thousand missteps,
the song of an empty bed.
That is what it sounds like,
when doves cry.